Yesterday, Gwyneth Paltrow passionately urged the Senate to vote against the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act.
Don’t worry, she came armed with reasons:
1. She’s a mom! When I first became a mother, my sister used to imitate my new mom-centered (read: self-centered) way of thinking by squawking “I’m a mom!” after everything I said. My behavior eventually stopped warranting that refrain, but I guess I can’t say the same for Gwyneth.
2. She cares deeply about fresh orange juice. Goop hates orange juice from concentrate and that’s why we need food labels.
3. She wants to know if her salmon is farmed or wild. Usually Gwyneth just asks her fishmonger, who also delivers. Do you have a fishmonger who delivers? If not and you’re a working mom, try and get one. Gwyneth’s tips for busy moms include finding a fishmonger who delivers and also using something called a calendar.
4. She’s AMERICAN. Americans have rights, ok? Like the right to know about juice concentrate.
5. She’s not an expert. Well, duh, because she’s a mom!
If only moms could become scientists, then we’d probably be able to solve this whole GMO thing! Wait…there are moms who are scientists??? There are moms who support the Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act??